by Rachel Vilsack
MinnesotaWorks.net will host a career fair on Thursday, November 29 at the Marriott Minneapolis NW in Brooklyn Park from 10 AM to 3 PM. Employers and educational institutions will be on hand for interviews and to answer questions. The event is open to all job seekers and there is no fee to attend.
- Using LinkedIn for Job Search Success (11 AM to noon) – Learn how to create an online profile and to find a job using Linkedin.
- Where are the jobs? (1:30 to 2:30 PM) – A labor market information pro will offer a view of hot jobs in key industries and what you need to do to get them.
- WorkForce Center staff will also be on hand to critique your resume and share tips on what works and what doesn’t!
The Marriott Minneapolis NW has ample free parking and is located on Metro Transit bus line #721. A sign language interpreter will be available from 10 AM to noon.
Tips to Get Ready for a Career Fair
Career and job fairs are a great way to connect with potential employers. You can get information and leads that are not available on the employer’s website. While a fair can help you build your professional network, you are unlikely to have an on-the-spot interview or receive a job offer. To make the most out of a career fair, you should:
- Research participating employers. Find out ahead of time which employers hire people with your skills. Even if the company is not on your list of target employers, treat them as if they were.
- Know your career objective. Know what kind of job you’re looking for and how it fits into your longer-term goals.
- Make a list of questions for employers. Ask about how they recruit and hire people with your skill set. Your target employers will likely have similar hiring practices.
- Polish your resume.
- Practice your elevator speech with someone. Begin with a firm handshake and good eye contact. Use a clear voice and provide the employer with concise and relevant information.
- Read more tips on what to do during the fair.
You’re not going to want to miss this career fair!