What’s Your Interest?

by Rachel Vilsack ~

No matter where you are in your career, take time to consider what you like, what you’re good at, and whether your job is making the best use of your talents. Career assessments can help identify your skills, interests, values, or other traits. These are then matched to a broad list of careers. Assessments help you find careers that fit you best. An interest assessment can tell you what you already know about yourself but may not have really considered.

sign2A career interest assessment can help you:

• Find out about specific occupations that are a good match for your unique blend of skills.
  • Understand the strengths (or weaknesses) you bring to your job.
  • Learn where your skills fall short of the requirements for different jobs.
  • Decide whether you need more training or experience in an area.
  • Write a more meaningful resume or cover letter.
  • Reflect on where you want to take your career, and where you want your career to take you.

A career assessment won’t tell you whether or not a certain job will make you happy. A job is more than the skills required to complete tasks. It involves an organization, a boss, a group of coworkers, a schedule, a salary, and a commute. All these things that could influence how you feel about your work. Still, your job satisfaction is likely to be higher if your work makes good use of your skills.

Interested in taking an assessment? Start with one of these:

Future posts this month will explore how to use the results of your assessment to explore careers.

11 thoughts on “What’s Your Interest?

1. Greta June 23, 2016 / 9:23 am

As I’m currently in a Career Counseling class, I found this information very valid and in stride with what I am learning! I think it’s important that individuals remember there is always time to do “checks and balances” no matter where they are in their career to ensure their satisfaction. I was previously in a job that I was not happy with, and I think that taking one of these assessments during that time may have made my decision to leave more clear. Also, I think that these assessments are a very helpful tool for getting a broad overview on one’s interests and abilities. I think that these should be required in high school courses so students can start the career exploration process before they attend college and blindly choose a major or path.

2. plantingtheseedsofenlightenment June 30, 2014 / 9:41 pm

This is a great guideline for someone trying to find the career path that is best for them. Many people are not sure where to find helpful information when beginning their search. It is easy to become overwhelmed by all of of the possible careers, but really taking time to think about what one is looking for in a job, and what he/she can bring to that career field is key in finding a fulfilling position. Thanks!

3. Kasey June 30, 2014 / 9:37 pm

This post is a great guideline for someone trying to decide which career is best for them. Many people are not sure where to get information that will help them in their search. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when looking at all of the possible career paths, but really taking time to consider what one is looking for in a job and what he/she can bring to a particular field is key to finding a fulfilling position. Thank you!

4. Madi June 30, 2014 / 7:09 pm

The comments on this post so far are all something to consider. I also agree that considering interests when starting a career search can be a great place to start, but then many other things can come into play as the decision making process continues (such as skills, needs, current job availability, education). I also really liked the point that a skills assessment does not tell you what you can and can’t or should/shouldn’t do, but that it is a starting point to explore more about yourself.

5. Marc June 30, 2014 / 4:58 am

I think Charli is correct; I actually have been told that I should pursue a career in “x” or “y”, and although they are passions of mine, if i were doing them every day I think I would struggle quite a bit, as they are things which are supposed to relax me, not cause stress.

6. Prossy June 29, 2014 / 11:54 pm

It is really very helpful for an individual to consider his or her interests at the very beginning of the career search process.In addition to the benefits of interest assessments as expressed in this blog,I believe that matching one’s interests with a prospective career facilitates inner motivation,which is likely to give rise to job satisfaction and satisfactoriness when one finally gets into the career.

7. Eric June 29, 2014 / 3:32 pm

Sometimes, it can seem like interest assessments are just a way to confirm what we already know. We think we have a pretty good handle on what we like and what we don’t like. However, where these assessments are really helpful is in finding careers that fit in with you interests. Knowing that other people who do these kinds of jobs have had similar answers on these same assessments can be a really helpful piece of knowledge when choosing a career.

8. Irene June 29, 2014 / 3:07 am

Charli, I can very much agree with your post! There is great benefit in knowing and utilizing your skills, but there is also something to be said about knowing where your personal interests are.
    I also think it is a good quality to recognize your weaknesses and growth areas regarding work in conjuction with your skills. Assessments can also be a useful tool, for both people early in their search and people within a career. The article above is a great resource!

9. Amanda June 28, 2014 / 11:56 pm

I agree that it is important to assess your interests when considering which career to pursue. I find interest and value assessments much more helpful than skill assessments. I believe that though you may have proficiency in a certain skill, if you do not enjoy or value it, then it is not something to base a career off of. For instance, I am skilled at being detail oriented, but I know that I would not be interested in a career that focuses solely on catching mistakes and being painstakingly methodical about everything because it would not be enjoyable for me. I am much more interested in working with people, and so I have chosen to pursue a career with this interest in mind. For me, the key is finding something you enjoy that you are/or can become skilled at.

10. Charli June 25, 2014 / 6:50 pm

I think that it is very important to know what you’re interested in and what you’re good at, however, I think it is equally important to determine whether or not what you’re interested in is what you want to do for a living. There are many things that I love to do, but most of them are not things that I would want to have to get up and do every morning.

11. Kara June 25, 2014 / 6:29 pm

Thanks for the helpful starting point! In finding a career it is tempting to get lost in the gravity of the decision and easy to forget that interests and values are a great place to identify possibly fulfilling paths. The ISeek skills assessment was a great tool, and I also found that just clicking around the website was helpful and informative!!